Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Challenge 3

   

Aristotle once said, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

" Listening to others' ideas may not be easy, but it could be an valuable way to learn something new or change your perspective on life.





          WHAT TOOLS CAN WE USE TO BE OPEN MİNDED?
               
                What does mean ‘to be open minded’? We have to think about it. As simple definition, having or showing a mind receptive to new ideas or arguments. That means you haven't got any prejudice about anybody.And while you are listening someone, becoming more flexible. But how can ı be open-minded? Here are some suggestions.


è First of all realize that people's beliefs are shaped by genes, personality, disposition, life experiences, and historical context. It is possible that if you were born in a different time and place, or experienced different things in life, you would have a totally different belief system.

èDo some research. If you often find yourself saying, "Why would someone DO that?" or "I can't imagine doing that" or "People are so ignorant!" you may need look into other peoples' lives and way of thinking. As we all know by now, the internet is an excellent source of information. Having at least a base knowledge of different subjects will not only give you a chance to expand your perspective, it will give you more credibility when speaking to others. An atheist speaking to a Christian who has a thorough knowledge of the Bible is likely to be taken much more serious.

 èPick your battles carefully. Sometimes you will never understand someone else's point of view and they won't get yours. Taking a stand for your beliefs does not require you to argue with every person every time you talk about it.

                èReading a lot from newspapers, magazines, historical resources, politics and thinking about all of them. Maybe sharing your ideas with the others and listening their ideas.
      If you have opportunity you must travel for different countries, beliefs, cultures, way of livings etc…
              
  • What is my culture shock?

      When I came to Denmark, I looked my around, roads, houses and I was surprised. Because I was coming from Turkey and Turkey's population of 70 million. So it is very crowded noisy also. Denmark is very calm and quiet. I thought that ‘There are retired persons lives’.    
İstanbul, Turkey

      Lessons and students are strange for me. In Turkey, all students have to respect teachers and say like that, ‘Can I ask a question, my teacher, sir or madam?!’ Eating and drinking are forbidden during lesson. If you want to eat you have to wait for break.
      All people free in Denmark in fact I like that and one more interesting experience for me I want to share; our headscarf is very big problem for Turkey. You would not be a teacher with a headscarf. In Denmark it is normal and you are free. Also we have got a ‘praying room’ at Blaagaard. It is very interesting for me and wonderful…
     
    IT IS TO BE OPEN MİNDED AND TO RESPECT ALL OF THEM…

No comments:

Post a Comment